Sunday, June 14, 2009

KODAWOOD CHAIRS

There has been a big mystery to the Kodawood Chairs...some said Juhl, Larsen or Barup...well the reality is they were designed by a nice jewish man in Miami, Florida named Seymour James Wiener.
The purpose on the patent was to improve the attachment of the upholstery to the wood. The patent cites it's extensively while citing other patents from 1920 to 1960.

Now I know what most of you kids are saying, the Danes designed the chairs...but once again if you look for patents it may surprise most of you...you will also be surprised that it was the Danes that exactly didn't design a lot of their famous designs but improved upon them. Also, most of their stuff wasn't even made in Denmark due to the expensive cost of manufacturing.
Most went to Yugoslovia and other parts of Europe.

Either way, these chairs are very cool and the wood is AMAZING to work with and I thought it was brilliant of Wiener to have the wood run left to right. Most wood ran top bottom on the danish teaks. Also, he added wood to the five star base (briliant).

I love these chairs...think their a beautiful design. I really feel most designers in the America don't get the credit they deserve from now thru present. I hope the next wave of furniture collecting comes the U.S.

3 comments:

  1. This is exactly the information I was looking for. You mentioned SJ Wiener in another post. I just today tried looking up the patent, to no avail. I think I will post mine on ebay for sale. Check them out. I love them dearly, but I need to pay bills.
    Thanks so much, as I google Kodawood all the time for info.
    Jill B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I have some Kodawood chairs that I need to refinish, but am still not sure what the bent wood is. Do you have any insight on that?

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any idea what kind of Kodawood chairs these are? I just purchased a set of 4 in very poor condition. I am unable to find these anywhere online. They have three legs. The pictures are on my blog here:

    http://midcenturyfurniturefinds.blogspot.com/2011/06/kodawood-mystery-chairs.html

    ReplyDelete